Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Waiting Game

My very wise sister-in-law once reminded me that the Bible commands us most often to simply obey.  That's it - the most common command in the Bible.  It is not a command to honor your parents, to avoid lying, to wear your hair a certain way (although those first two are still pretty important, folks).

It is much simpler: Obey.  

One word with so much weight.



The Lord has brought me firmly into a season of waiting.  There is no shortcut, no way to go around this trial.  He has brought me to it, and He will bring me through it - eventually.  On His time, and most certainly not my own.  

Sorry if it seems I'm being vague here, but I'm not yet ready to share details.  I am still waiting on some answers myself, and I'm not interested in stirring up emotions until I am sure there is a definite need.  

When I pray, I ask God to give me eyes to see Him and a heart to listen to His will.  I ask big, huge things - like curing people of illness, or bringing change to a stubborn heart - because I believe that my God can do anything.  If I shy from asking Him for these monumental favors, then I am doubting His authority to grant them.  However - I always end with an acknowledgement that His will is better than my own, and His plan will glorify Him in ways I cannot imagine possible.  

And it has.  

This season of waiting has urged me to pray more frequently and more fervently.  Many times, I feel that prayer is the only thing I can actually accomplish.  When I feel trapped, I throw myself at my Lord's feet.  There is nowhere else to go.  I praise Him for drawing me nearer to Him, although my body protests in this life.  

Here are a few things I've learned in my prayers and reading during this time when I am adrift.  

1) My situation may change, but God never will.  He will continue to provide for me, to bless me, and to protect me.  His peace is sweeter in my uncertainty and His strength is greatest when I am unable to carry on myself.  Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. - Hebrews 13:8 

2) Although I cannot understand where this road is leading me, He knows every step.  I can trust God blindly because He not only knows the way - He designed this path specifically for me.  My only command is to walk it with trust in Him and Him alone, or I will surely make a misstep.  He is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.  - Psalm 119:105.  

3) In this particular season, faith means going where I am called without understanding - and without question.  I may hesitate in this earthly body, but who am I to balk at God's plans for me?  Jesus said to Peter, "If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you?  You follow me!"  - John 21:22 

4) Faith is essential to surviving this trial.  I must not lost hope, I must not lose my nerve.  Whenever I feel weak, I can hear the doubt creep into my mind.  My aching heart cries out, "Why, God?!?!  Why me?!?!?  What did I do to make you take your blessing from me?"  This is *very* dangerous territory to tread.  Yes, my heart aches.  No, I do not understand why.  But how can I justify accusing God?  What proof do I have that He has taken His blessing from me?  For all I know, God could be sparing me grief and heartache that my faith, and thus my soul, would not withstand at this time.  I feel darkness encroaching when I cry out this way, and I reject it.  I will not allow myself to be swallowed by darkness again.  Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.  - Hebrews 11:1 

5) God has a great inheritance planned for me.  I may never receive the news that I long to hear - but I will receive a place in Heaven.  I will walk by faith into the land which God has prepared for me.  I do not know what it holds - richness or poverty, abundance or famine, health or plague.  But I know that God has knitted me together with His strength for this very purpose and I am honored to carry this weight.  By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going.  By faith he lived as an alien in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, fellow heirs of the same promise; for he was looking for the city which has foundations, whose architect and builder is God.  By faith even Sarah herself received ability to conceive, even beyond the proper time of life, since she considered Him faithful who had promised. - Hebrews 11:8-11

6) I am never alone in this wait.  I have nothing to fear.  Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous!  Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.  - Joshua 1:9 

What has God taught you by bringing you to a waiting room?  How have you drawn closer to Him in times of uncertainty?  

May God give you eyes to see His will, and a heart to hear it.  

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment