Sunday, January 4, 2015

Kitchen Adventures: Taco Spice Blend

Big things are happening on this little blog, friends!

I submitted my Ras el Hanout recipe to The Spice House recipe collection and it was accepted!  View it here.  If you don't have a wide spice selection or don't use these spices regularly, The Spice House has a great Moroccan Spice Blend that Paige (from the Spice House) loves!

I'm so flattered to have anything of mine included in the Spice House collection.  Paige asked me if I had used anything special in my tacos, and since I *did* make my own spice blend...I'm going to share it with you now!

This blend replaces those taco-seasoning packets you can find at the grocery store.  Usually those are full of MSG or sodium.  Guess what?  You don't need sodium to enhance flavor if your spices pack their own punch!

Taco Seasoning:

2 tsp. chili powder
1.5 tsp paprika
1.5 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
(more than) a dash of cayenne.

My secret ingredient is...

baking cocoa!

I got some pretty awesome dutch-processed cocoa to make homemade hot cocoa, and I had a bit left over.  I added somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp.

Mix it up!  This blend makes enough for one pound of meat.  Use it the same way you'd use the seasoning packet - after browning, add with a bit of water and simmer the meat and spices in the skillet.

Nom nom for now,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment