Thursday, February 26, 2015

Our Nifty Nest

Hi friends!

I type this from my super comfy new couch.  Honestly, pictures just won't do it justice - you really need to come try it out! :) 

Like I said in my last post, we've been really busy doing some updates to our cozy little home.  We've been lucky enough to have really generous family and some really fantastic discount finds.  

A while ago, I mentioned a DIY project to build a standing computer desk.  Well, we kind of...scrapped that plan.  Instead, Stephen's parents gave us a computer desk from Ikea they needed to clear out of the office.  Believe it or not, it was a *perfect* fit for the space we had to fill.  I always wonder if they really "needed" to, or if they found a way to do without.  They're those kind of people - always putting everybody else before themselves.  

Anyway, I wanted to change the finish of the metal frame to better fit our apartment.  Stephen found a *really* cool spray paint that automatically dries in a hammered-metal finish.  He got a gunmetal gray color, brought home the desk, painted it in our storage unit, and assembled it.  Now, he has a home for his computer!  And he is super happy about it. :) Game on, honey!

We pooled our gift cards from Christmas and bought a set of bar stools that we use at our kitchen countertop bar and as seating for the computer desk.  They're saddle seats in a really nice dark-brown solid wood.  The color is a good contrast to the honey-colored cabinetry and bring out the darker tones in the marble countertop.  Again, Stephen whipped out the handyman skills and assembled them in about an hour.  He deserves a cookie, don'cha think?

Our biggest change was the addition of our new leather futon couch.  The previous owner dropped it off at Goodwill and told the salespeople there that he originally paid $1200 for it.  I was expecting it to be torn, dirty, or otherwise damaged.  Au contraire, mon frere!  The leather is in great condition, with two matching suede/leather pillows.  The frame itself is solid wood.  "Futon" sounds so...cheap and breakable, from my experience.  This thing is definitely neither - super comfy, well-built, and I have yet to find a scratch on it!  I found it and showed Stephen - we both agreed we could drop $150 on it and no more.  I didn't find a price tag, so I found an associate, who tagged it at...$40!!!  We immediately said, "...We'll...uh...we'll take it."  I was worried they might change their mind or that it might sell before my very eyes.  The couch stayed in that Goodwill for about thirty minutes before they brought it on the floor, and I saw it about five minutes later.  Such a steal.



Don't worry - I'm still planning a few more projects around here.  Can't let it get boring, you know?

Next up:  turning our coffee table into an ottoman!  I think I've got the "how" figured out - just need to put the wheels in motion.  And then you'll *have* to come over - a comfy couch, a cozy ottoman, and a cup of tea, dear?

Until next time,
Amanda






No comments:

Post a Comment